My mother and I went to visit her.
While we were there, we stopped at a restaurant called "The Market Place", I ordered what may possibly be the BEST salad I have ever eaten!
It had chicken breast, fresh strawberries, roasted pecans, water chestnuts, & spinach.
The dressing was a blueberry dressing.
It was wonderful!
I loved this salad so much that I made my poor mother smuggle an ice chest full of salad home on the plane each time she would visit my sister.
I have tried and tried to replicate this salad.
I managed to make some pretty darn tasty salads, but they were not quite right.
As a matter of fact...
I think mine is better!
Dana's "Taste of Summer" Salad
- Chicken breast, or breast tenderloin, grilled.
- 1 lb spinach (I like baby spinach)
- 1 pint strawberries, sliced
- 1 small can mandarin orange sections. (drained)
- 1/2 cup pecans or cashews, toasted
- 1 can water chestnuts, sliced (optional)
- Blue Cheese or Feta cheese, for sprinkling
- 1/3 cup raspberry vinegar (or balsamic vinegar)
- 1/3-1/2 cup sugar or sugar substitute
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4-1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup blueberries (Frozen work great!)
- Grill your chicken breasts or tenderloins, set aside to cool slightly.
- Toast nuts in a pan over low heat, set aside to cool.
- Combine all the dressing ingredients EXCEPT blueberries, in a blender and blend well.
- Add thawed or fresh blueberries to the dressing and pulse to combine. set aside.
- Arrange salad ingredients on plates, drizzle with dressing and serve immediately.