This is the question that I am asked every day.
The Man-of-My-Dreams is working out of the country again, and even from half way across the world, this is the question he asks me every night.
He means no harm, he genuinely wants to know, but it just drives me bonkers.
Well... because my standard answer is usually, "nothin".
Even though there really is no day where a mother of 5 does "nothin".
I usually have nothing of importance to report either.
I usually plop my weary head onto my pillow each night and wonder the same thing.
What did I actually "DO" today?
I didn't get dressed and go to "work".
I didn't save anyone's life.
I didn't change anyone's life.
I didn't do anything important in the grand scheme of things.
If I was brutally honest my answer, even to myself, is still a resounding "nothin".
Take today, for instance...
- made coffee
- chatted with the Man-of-My-Dreams online for a bit
- got kids up
- made breakfast
- got them busy on their chores
- ran to the gas station to fill gas cans
- aired up the lawnmower tires
- jumped the lawnmower battery to get it to start
- mowed the lawn
- sprayed a giant wasp nest w/ bee killer
- took a shower
- cleaned the bathroom
- made an emergency trip to the vet with a bleeding bulldog.
- hit Sonic for Happy-Hour and a Rt. 44 Diet Cherry Coke
- made lunch
- cleaned off the coffee table
- found the missing blue bank bag full of crayons
- made some phone calls
- praised the Little-Foreman-in-Pink on her stellar artwork
- put up the laundry
- removed a giant hair ball from the bathtub drain
- scraped dog poop off of the porch
- tried to keep myself and the kids cool when the power went out while it was 102 degrees outside.
- tried to teach my son how to use a neti-pot
- reminded the boys to take out the trash
- helped the Little-Foreman-in-Pink clean her bedroom
- chased a rooster around the yard to remove a string from around his leg
- folded laundry
- helped 11yr old set up a new I-Tunes account.
- paid some bills
- dug a crayon out of Guss the Pug's mouth 4 times
- Gave Brutus the Bulldog his medicated bath that the vet sent home with us
- cleaned the living room
- edited some pictures
- searched for a lost flip-flop (found it!)
- gave sick son cold medicine
- swept maggots off of the porch (shudder) from the nasty trash can
- helped the little boys get the nasty trash cans out to the curb
- un-clogged the sink drain
- emptied, rinsed out and re-filled the dog's swimming pools
- took headache medicine
- rubbed sunburn ointment on a little back
- remembered that I forgot to get something out of the freezer for dinner
- sent the Little-Foreman-in-Pink next door for a play-date
- defrosted 4lbs hamburger
- made spaghetti sauce
- dropped 11yr old off at his Baseball practice
- wrote this blog post
Mowing the lawn made this a pretty productive day!
But usually, there isn't anything like that that I can point at and say.. I did "THAT" today!
I feel like I have been running full-speed all day, but I look around and see that there is nothing (except for the lawn) that is actually done, or accomplished.
So... when asked tonight that dreaded question....
What Did You Do Today?
My answer will probably be "Nothing, except mow the lawn".
What did YOU do today?
Do you feel like you accomplished anything?
Or do you, like me, feel like you are running yourself ragged while just chasing your tail?