Feb 21, 2008

I'm Just Sayin... (rant of the day)

Ok.... the time has come for me to address this growing epidemic.
When did "I'm just sayin" , followed by a long pause/silence, become the way to make everything that you shouldn't say or isn't nice to say OK to say?

examples...

I'm not tattling on Him for breaking the window.
I'm just sayin....
You might wanna change those pants... I'm not saying you look fat in them. I'm just sayin.....
I'm not sayin your kids are the worst kids in the world... I'm just sayin...
I'm not saying I haven't seen uglier girls. I'm just sayin...
I'm not saying it's inedible. I'm just sayin...
I'm not saying I hate him. I'm just sayin...
I'm not saying I'm better than you are. I'm just sayin...

I have been forced into the position of "pop culture expert" because I am forced to live with teenagers. Thus I notice these trends when they appear.

This one bothers me even more than the ever hated "snap" that was said after everything a few years back (that is a whole other rant for another day.. snap.. how stupid was that?!?!?)

Or the "Right?" that so many people say after every sentence that comes out of their mouths. Kinda like they are trying to convert you to their way of thinking.... and make sure everyone in the room agrees with whatever they say. "Right???"

I guess the reason it rubs me the wrong way is because people seem to use this term to excuse mean or rude behavior.
When did being rude or nasty become ok?
Do we really need a cutsie catch-phrase to make it easier for people to put other people down?
Don't most people do it ok now? Why make it easier?!?

I just don't get it.

I'm not saying there aren't worse things that people could say... I'm just sayin.....
Pin It!

4 amazing comments. Talk To Me!!:

Anonymous said...

I agree! WHERE did this saying come from?? The first time I heard it, it was funny. The 300th? Not so much.

Bethany said...

Are you saying that because I use it all the time? I blame my Dallas friends, I swear. I apologize that I'm a bad influence on your children.

- your spoiled "big city" little sister

Anonymous said...

I'm still waiting for the rest of your Rita story. I'm not complaining, I'm just saying..... ;)

Unknown said...

True "southern" women will always start the comment out with "Bless his/her heart"
Ie:
Bless her heart, she doesn't know how bad that dress looks.
Bless his heart, he doesn't know that he's married to a slut.
Never really nice things follow but I guess the Blessing is supposed to somehow cancel out the gossip LOL :)

Post a Comment

I LOVE Comments!
Comments make me dance a little jig.
And that makes my children run and hide in shame.

Never Miss a Post

Bookmark and Share
Subscribe via e-mail!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...