Jun 11, 2010

My Favorite Summer Salad.

Several years ago, my spoiled rotten little sister attended college in Arkansas.
My mother and I went to visit her.
While we were there, we stopped at a restaurant called "The Market Place", I ordered what may possibly be the BEST salad I have ever eaten!

It had chicken breast, fresh strawberries, roasted pecans, water chestnuts, & spinach.
The dressing was a blueberry dressing.
It was wonderful!

I loved this salad so much that I made my poor mother smuggle an ice chest full of salad home on the plane each time she would visit my sister.

I have tried and tried to replicate this salad.
I managed to make some pretty darn tasty salads, but they were not quite right.
UNTIL NOW!
As a matter of fact...
I think mine is better!

Dana's "Taste of Summer" Salad
  • Chicken breast, or breast tenderloin, grilled.
  • 1 lb spinach (I like baby spinach)
  • 1 pint strawberries, sliced
  • 1 small can mandarin orange sections. (drained)
  • 1/2 cup pecans or cashews, toasted
  • 1 can water chestnuts, sliced (optional)
  • Blue Cheese or Feta cheese, for sprinkling

Dressing

  • 1/3 cup raspberry vinegar (or balsamic vinegar)
  • 1/3-1/2 cup sugar or sugar substitute
  • 1 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1/4-1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup blueberries (Frozen work great!)
Directions
  1. Grill your chicken breasts or tenderloins, set aside to cool slightly.
  2. Toast nuts in a pan over low heat, set aside to cool.
  3. Combine all the dressing ingredients EXCEPT blueberries, in a blender and blend well.
  4. Add thawed or fresh blueberries to the dressing and pulse to combine. set aside.
  5. Arrange salad ingredients on plates, drizzle with dressing and serve immediately.
  6. ENJOY!
Pin It!

5 amazing comments. Talk To Me!!:

Linda S said...

might have to try it, and i am drooling over the plate as much as the salad!

Anonymous said...

I have GOT to make this now. I love spinach salads, the wild berries are on, and so are the strawberries here in Florida.

WiffsWife said...

that looks delish!!!

following from iFellowship at Seeds of Faith.

www.initsglory.blogspot.com

greta said...

I read the recipe to my husband and he said I absolutely must prepare this salad this weekend. I'm not a big fan of mixing sweet and salty flavours but this one looks delicious!

Laurie in Arkansas said...

YUM!!! We have a Marketplace here in my area of Arkansas and I love them...SO excited to try this recipe!!!

Post a Comment

I LOVE Comments!
Comments make me dance a little jig.
And that makes my children run and hide in shame.

Never Miss a Post

Bookmark and Share
Subscribe via e-mail!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...