The Young-Men-Folk are all out of town at the football game.
The Little-Foreman-in-Pink fell asleep watching Christmas movies.
What is a mother who is never EVER totally alone to do?
Cook and eat all the good foods that the men-folk wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole of course!
Tonight that means I get to eat this wonderful dish with a nice glass of wine!
Tender zucchini stuffed with a savory meat filling and topped with gooey melted cheese.
Ummm excuse me while I wipe a tear from my eye.
Dana's Stuffed Zucchini
4 medium zucchini
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 medium bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1/2 pound lean ground beef
1/2 pound Italian sausage (or just use 1lb ground beef)
1/2 teaspoon Oregano
salt & pepper
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1/2 cup bread crumbs
2 cups Mozzarella cheese (or Gouda, provolone, etc)
- wash zucchini, DO NOT CUT OFF the ENDS!, drop into a pot of cold water, Bring to a boil and boil for 6-7 minutes (depending on size of zucchini) until tender. remove from water and set aside to cool enough to handle.
- meanwhile, in a skillet, saute; olive oil, garlic, onions & peppers. When the veggies begin to soften, add your ground beef and ground sausage, oregano and salt & pepper to taste. Brown until no longer pink.
- Drain off any excess oil, set aside to cool slightly.
- Slice zucchini lengthwise, and scoop out the seeds and some of the meat to create a zucchini "boat", invert the zucchini shells onto a paper towel to drain.
- chop the scooped out zucchini meat and seeds and stir into meat mixture.
- Mix bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese into the meat mixture, then add the eggs, blend well.
- fill the zucchini "boats" with meat mixture. and top with mozzarella cheese.
- In a baking dish, Bake uncovered in a 375 F degree oven for 20-30 minutes until hot and the cheese is bubbly.